ICOM is the world's largest professional museum community, with almost 30,000 members worldwide. By becoming an ICOM member, you can access a range of important benefits, including:
1. The ICOM Card, giving you free access to thousands of museums and exhibitions worldwide
2. Eligibility to join ICOM International Committees - connecting you to the latest professional thinking
3. Connecting to museum professionals in other countries
5. Demonstrating your support for the international museum community*
6. Membership to ICOM UK allows access and voting rights in one of ICOM's 30 International Committees each devoted to the study of a specific museum-related discipline. Through the ICOM International Committees, ICOM achieves its major objectives, which are the exchange of information at an international level through established networks, the development of professional standards and the adoption of rules and recommendations.
* A proportion of your Membership Fee goes to subsidise the cost of ICOM membership for museum professionals in developing nations
The ICOM card
As an ICOM member, you will receive an ICOM Membership Card which gives you free access to museums and exhibitions all over the world. The ICOM Card is one of the most widely-recognised membership programmes for museums in the world and is accepted at thousands of venues.
Please note that we cannot guarantee that the ICOM Card will give you free access to the museum you are planning to visit. It is always important to check with the museum beforehand to find out whether it is accepted.
If you visit museums regularly, the ICOM Card will save you the cost of your membership fee!
Individual Membership is open to individuals who work in or with museums, who are studying for an academic course relating to museology or who are currently retired having previously worked in or with museums.
Institutional Membership is open to museums in the UK and British Overseas Territories. It is a great way for your museum to invest in your staff, to benefit from international collaboration and to show your support for the wider museum sector.
ICOM UK membership runs on the calendar year. Applications for 2018 open on Friday 6 October 2017. For more information on 2018 Membership Fees and how to apply, visit: http://uk.icom.museum/join-us/memberships/new-memberships/