The Commonwealth Association of Museums (CAM) is an ICOM Affiliated Organization, a network of postcolonial museums throughout the Commonwealth and beyond, that reflects on colonial legacies and develops new international relationships and working practices.
CAM offers a distance learning programme; develops international internships and exchanges; organizes international conferences and workshops; implements demonstration projects on shared issues such as Indigenous rights, reconciliation, migration, climate change, and gender equality; and empowers museum workers to use their resources – their collections, exhibitions, programmes, and expertise – for the benefit of their communities.
As an Accredited Commonwealth Organization, CAM promotes the value of museums in society and participates in the biannual Commonwealth Heads of Government Meetings (CHOGM) and the triennial Conference of Commonwealth Education Ministers (CCEM).
What can you do?
1. Join CAM: Complete the CAM membership form at http://www.maltwood.uvic.ca/cam/about/membership_info.html and send with a cheque for £25 to CAM President Dr Richard Benjamin, Head, International Slavery Museum, National Museums Liverpool, Albert Dock, Liverpool Waterfront, L3 4AQ; Tel: 0151 478 4574; Dr.Richard.Benjamin@liverpoolmuseums.org.uk
2. Become the CAM Commonwealth Liaison and represent CAM at Commonwealth meetings and events in London. (Not onerous, perhaps 4 events/year – sometimes a party!) Please contact Richard Benjamin for more information.
3. Attend ICOM in Kyoto: Participate in CAM’s symposium on International Museum Partnerships and Collaborations 2 September 2019, 1:00-5:00, organized in collaboration with the Museums Association of the Caribbean (MAC), the Pacific Islands Museums Association (PIMA), and AFRICOM, the African Council of Museums.
4. Participate in CAM’s Triennial International Conference in Cape Town, March 9-14, 2020. Contact Rachel Erickson and Wendy Molnar: email@example.com to receive the call for papers or to request further information.
5. Contribute to the Migration:Cities I(im)migration and arrival cities virtual platform. Contact CAM Secretary-General Catherine C. Cole for further information: CatherineC.Cole@telus.net